Jon L. Hester
Jon is a trial lawyer who limits his engagements to family law. His lengthy career has included not only work as a lawyer in the courtroom, but also six years as a judge on the family law bench in Oklahoma County. He taught for several years as an adjunct professor at the University of Oklahoma and Rose State College. Jon founded the firm after leaving the bench in 1982.
Some of the highlights of his career include his work as the trial judge in the groundbreaking case of Carpenter v. Carpenter and trial counsel for the wife in Hamm v. Hamm, in which he was responsible for the examination of Mr. Hamm as well as many corporate officers and directors. He has 28 published cases to his credit. He was twice the chairman of the Oklahoma Bar Association Family Law Section.
Jon has been a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) since 1985, serving as the Oklahoma chapter president for two terms as well as a stint on the national governing board. He appears frequently as a speaker on continuing education programs and heads the AAML Oklahoma chapter’s continuing education, providing advanced material for practitioners. His career began in 1973 and shows no signs of slowing down, as he still enjoys the daily challenges of a trial practice.
Details & Accolades
- Alaska Methodist University, B.A. 1970
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D. 1972
- Oklahoma Bar Association, 1973
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma, 1980
- Intern - Cleveland County Legal Aid, 1972
- Intern - Michael Smith Law Office, 1972
- Private practice - Hamilton and Lambert, 1973-1976
- Judge - Oklahoma County Family Law Division, 1976-1982
- Founder - Hester Schem & Beason, 1983-present
- Adjunct professor - University of Oklahoma and Rose State College
Professional Organizations & Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association Family Law Section
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Awards & Recognition
- Listed as AV (Preeminent) by Martindale Hubbell
- Listed in Family Law by Best Lawyers in America
- Designated as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Publication
Hester Schem & Beason
This law firm maintains this web site for informational purposes only. The information contained on this web site is not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt thereof does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers should consult with a lawyer before acting in reliance on any such information. By entering this web site you acknowledge and agree to all terms and conditions stated herein.